Wednesday, June 27, 2007

An old friend comes to Lusaka

A friend of mine from high school, Joe, and his friend, Deste, were here this past Saturday until this morning. It was great to have them here and Joe and I kept commenting on how weird it was to be hanging out in Zambia! And yet it felt pretty normal, actually -- friends like Joe are great because you can always just pick up where you left off -- whether your pathes cross in Fairport or Lusaka. He was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Malawi and founded an organization called the World Education Fund. Each summer, he leads a group of University of Rochester students on a 3-week immersion experience back in Gowa, the village where he did his Peace Corps service. After the trip to Malawi, he and Deste decided to come to Livingstone to check out Victoria Falls and passed through Lusaka on his way back to Malawi. Deste came down with strep throat so we mostly chilled in Lusaka, watching/renting a bunch of movies and cooking. Unfortunately, I ended up getting sick yesterday, too, with a nasty migraine -- not fun but it was nice to have Deste's and Joe's company. They took good care of me:) And I'm feeling much better today thankfully.

Work for the urban survey is starting to gain momentum. Stage one of the survey kicks off this week in the various cities with "listing", where we try to get a count of the total number of households in each area. I'll be heading up to Kitwe, a city in Copperbelt province, with a colleague on Friday to supervise the listing activity there. I'm looking forward to seeing another part of the country. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures while I'm there. For now, here are just a few pictures of me, Joe, and Deste during their visit. We didn't do much so they're just taken in or outside of my apartment.

Cheers. ~nmm

No comments: